I’ve lived in New Mexico and Colorado for 30 of the past 40 years. I am currently the General Manager of Black Mesa Casino. In 1999 I began working for the Sandia Pueblo as General Manager of the Sandia Casino. I was part of the team that designed, built and opened the new Sandia Casino and related infrastructure. I have been a part of the City of Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Operations and Management Board, Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute Hospitality and Tourism Board, Albuquerque TVI Foundation Board and the New Mexico Symphony Board of Directors and the NMSO Business Advisory Board. I have since worked for three other tribes or Pueblos in NM.
I am married to Loretta who is a New Mexico native. I have two children, Rebecca and David. I have two grandchildren, Oliver (8) and Andrew (5). My daughter in a Nurse Practitioner and Medical Researcher and my son is a Computer Programmer. Both are Military spouses, my son in law is a Lt. Colonel and a physician in the Air Force and my daughter in law is a Major and a Veterinarian in the Army.
I raised my family in the four corners over 20 years where I operated a resort, worked at the Sheriff’s office and opened the Ute Mountain Casino as the first Gaming Enforcement Agent. I was a Library board volunteer for 11 years and Volunteer for the Colorado Division of wildlife for 15 years, instructor of the year in 1991. In 1991 I was named officer of the year at the Sheriff’s office working as a Detective.
I have a Bachelor of Science in Business from Regents College. I did my Masters study at Colorado State University in Business and have done lots of continuing education in Business, Accounting, Economics and Law at The University of Chicago, MIT, Harvard and the American Management association among other institutions.
SUMMARY OF EXECUTIVE QUALIFICATIONS
Seasoned senior executive with progressively larger scope and depth of responsibilities across gaming, hotel, food, golf and hospitality industries. Strengths include:
Black Mesa Casino, San Felipe, NM
General Manager, 2017 to Present
· Increased revenues and dramatically decreased expenses
· Led major rebranding effort including name change
· Produced a five-year plan to upgrade and modernize the property
· Recruited quality management in a difficult job market
· Named best Rewards Club and second-best Slot program in NM by the ABQ Journal reader’s poll.
· Produced consistently growing profits for the first time in 11 years including 33% increase in year two.
· Reduced turnover rate to 16%.
Apache Casino Hotel, Lawton, OK
General Manager, 2016 to 2017
· Increased revenues and decreased expenses
· Recruited quality management in a difficult job market
· Initiated a major overhaul of business processes
· Opened a large event center and related venues to outstanding reviews
· Maintained very high shopper and customer satisfaction scores
Northern Edge Casino, Farmington, NM
Flowing Water Casino, Waterflow, NM
General Manager, 2014 to 2016
· Recruited to manage two properties in northwest New Mexico.
· Increased Revenue in a down market
· Provided leadership and stability to the operation through consistent and fair implementation and enforcement of policies.
· Recruited a strong management team to assist in the growth of Gaming
Osage Casino, Tulsa , OK
Osage Casinos flagship operation in Oklahoma
General Manager, 2013 to 2014
Recruited to assist in the planning, development and management of a major new hotel casino offering for the Tulsa market.
· Increased casino’s percentage of company EBITDA from 50% to 75% in one year.
· Assisted in the planning and development of a 375,000 square foot casino, 350 room hotel and over 40,000 square feet of convention and meeting space.
· Advised on the development of future phases including major retail, entertainment and office space
Ohkay Casino Resort, Ohkay Owingeh, NM
Northern New Mexico Casino Hotel in a hyper competitive environment.
General Manager, 2012 to 2013
The senior executive responsible for all facets of leadership, management and operations. Accountable to the Tsay Corporation CEO and Board of Directors.
· Assumed the reins of a casino whose revenues had declined 50% in 6 years due to an unbelievably difficult market.
· Showed the first increases in year over year and month over month revenues in 6 years.
· Increased EBITDA 6% in 6 months.
· Revamped the leadership team and brought in experienced leadership.
· Stabilized cash flow and honored bank covenants.
La Posta Casino, Boulevard, CA
Eastern San Diego area Tribe and Casino with limited resources.
CEO, 2009 to 2010
The senior executive responsible for all facets of leadership, management and operations. Accountable to the La Posta Tribal Council.
· Executed a turnaround plan and advised the Tribe on their other business opportunities.
· Reduced expenses and reorganized the labor force and instituted training to increase profits.
· Completed a complete revamping of the accounting function.
· Began to aggressively reduce debt and work with suppliers to renegotiate payment terms.
Pechanga Casino and Resort, Temecula, CA
General Manager, 2008 to 2009
Northern San Diego area full service casino and resort with 5000 employees at our peak, 4300 slots, 135 table games (blackjack, baccarat and pai gow), an exceptional high limit area, 50 poker tables, 17 food service venues, and a 1200 seat theatre. A Four Diamond Resort featured 522 rooms, Spa, 18-hole golf course and 53,000 square feet of convention and meeting space.
The senior executive responsible for all facets of leadership, management and operations. Accountable to the board of the Pechanga Development Corporation.
· Pechanga, one of the largest casinos in the USA, was a AAA Four Diamond winner 6 years in a row.
· Opened Journey and Journey’s End, a golf course and clubhouse ranked as the #4 best new course you can play by Golf Magazine in 2008.
· Successfully implemented innovative marketing programs designed to counteract the effects of a declining economy.
· Opened an expanded and redesigned Spa, doubling the capacity and services.
Sycuan Casino and Resort, El Cajon, CA
General Manager, 2002 to 2008
San Diego area full service casino and resort with 2300 employees, 2000 slots, 63 table games (blackjack, baccarat and pai gow), 1200 bingo seats, 4 food service venues, and a theatre. Former Singing Hills Resort features a 54 hole golf course complex, 100 hotel rooms, food service and banquet facilities.
The senior executive responsible for all facets of leadership, management and operations. Accountable to the Sycuan Tribal Council.
· The only casino to receive California’s highest Baldrige criteria quality award, the Eureka Award, in 2006 based on comprehensive quality indicators.
· Completed construction on a 2,200 space parking garage, and redesign of casino entrance, landscaping and related traffic improvements within budget and two months before the scheduled opening.
· Redesigned systems and structure to execute a culture of collaboration and goal alignment among operating departments. Maintained a 20% turnover rate property wide.
· Implemented communication systems to encourage upward feedback, customer satisfaction, and employee satisfaction. Increased mystery shopper satisfaction from mid 70’s ratings to ratings in the mid 90’s.
· Increased overall organization revenue 90% and doubled overall profits.
Sandia Casino, Albuquerque, NM
General Manager, 1999-2002
A full service casino with 1400 employees, 1440 slots, 36 table games (blackjack, craps and roulette), 17 poker tables, 850 bingo seats, 3 food service venues and keno. Included a 4000 seat outdoor amphitheater and indoor entertainment venues.
The senior executive responsible for all facets of management and operations. Reported to the Sandia Pueblo Tribal Council. Contributed to the design/build team that Master Planned and constructed what is now considered one of the finest facilities in Indian Gaming.
· Dominated every category in the market by doubling gross and net revenues in a very competitive market in just 2 years.
Ute Mountain Casino, Towaoc, CO
General Manager, 1993–1999
A very profitable casino enterprise that included 425 employees year round, 435 slots, 10 table games, Keno, a 350 seat Bingo hall, 175 seat Restaurant, 82 space RV park and entertainment venue.
Responsible for all financial, operational and accounting decisions for these enterprises. Oversaw and budgeted a marketing department that marketed for all the Tribal enterprises. Promoted from Games Manager to Controller prior to becoming General Manager.
Montezuma County Sheriff’s Office, Cortez, CO
Detective Lieutenant, 1987–1993
Supervised both criminal and gaming enforcement officers and served as instructor at the Colorado Law Enforcement Training Academy. Also served as Deputy Federal Marshall for the Four Corners region.
· Named officer of the year in 1990.
· Early in 1992 the Ute Mountain Ute Tribe signed a compact with the state of Colorado that authorized gaming on tribal lands. The Colorado Division of Gaming requested my division to handle the regulatory and criminal gaming enforcement at the Casino. After training with the Nevada Gaming Control Board and the Colorado Division of Gaming, assisted in the formation of the gaming commission and instituted all regulations and internal controls.
Select Hotels, Cortez, CO
General Manager, 1980–1986
Operated a motel, dinner house and lounge in Southwest Colorado. Maintained a very profitable operation in a difficult market.
Masters Studies, Business Administration (MBA)
Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
Regents College, USNY, Albany, NY
University of Chicago - Strategic Planning; Leadership; Price Theory
American Management Association - Strategic Planning; Project Management; Internal Audit; Controllers Conference, Advanced Financial Analysis;
Harvard Law School – Negotiation; Dealing with Difficult People
COMMUNITY SERVICE & INTERESTS
Past Chairman of the Board of Directors for the San Diego Symphony. Board member 2002- 2010.
Advisor and Adjunct Professor for the Hospitality and Tourism Management program at San Diego State University.
Founding Board Member of the Sycuan Institute for Tribal Gaming at San Diego State University
City of Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Operations and Management Board.
Albuquerque Technical Vocational Institute Hospitality and Tourism Board
Albuquerque TVI Foundation Board
The New Mexico Symphony Board of Directors and the NMSO Business Advisory Board.
Cortez Public Library Board of Trustees for 12 years, twice president.
Montezuma County Sheriff’s Office Reserves for 5 years
Boy Scouts of America volunteer for 9 years.
Colorado Division of Wildlife Volunteer Instructor for 15 years, named instructor of the year in 1991.
Amateur Radio Operator N0FRH.